There are so many great getaways just outside of Sydney. Weekend getaways are also relatively easy to plan, as you only need to book the accommodation and your all set to drive off into the sunset. So when it’s time to get away and you don’t want to spend half the time driving you may want to consider some of these destinations we’ve listed below:
- The Blue Mountains-The Blue mountains is just a 90 minute drive from Sydney and perfect for all different types of holidays. There is nothing quite as romantic as sitting by a log fire in Winter in a cabin located in the rugged Aussie bush. For family holidays, the Blue Mountains offers loads of activities such as bush walks, cave explorations, visiting the three sisters plus loads of other things to see and enjoy.
- Hawks Nest is just a 2 and a half hour drive north of Sydney. It offers visitors beautiful beaches and is the perfect destination for nature lovers with dolphin watching, camping, bush walking and fishing being some of the main activities enjoyed by tourists and locals.
- Berry on the south coast makes a great weekend getaway destination as it’s not too far to drive, and is full of historic charm and lush green surrounds. Drive through divine valleys and get a good dose of clean country air. The area boasts some great antique stores, old style pubs as well as some great new places to enjoy modern cuisine.
- Kangaroo Valley is only a 2 hour drive from Sydney and is a wonderful place to get away from the hustle of daily city living. The valley is full of rich green hills and rainforest areas with a wonderful assortment of Australian native animals. There is only one main strip of shops and cafes and restaurants in the area, but that’s all that’s needed. It’s definitely a very friendly country town and there is loads to do, including horse riding, visiting vineyards as well as taking a short drive to see the Fitzroy Falls.
- The Hunter Valley- The Hunter Valley is a great place to go to for an idyllic weekend away. Spend time being pampered at a luxurious in house day spa at one of the many hotels in the area, or go wine tasting at one of the many vineyards in the region. Take long walks through the bush and vineyards and experience the tranquility the Hunter has to offer.This is also a great place to go with a group of friends. You can sample the various vineyards on a tour of the area, then finish up with dinner at one of the areas most coveted restaurants.
Sydney really does have so many great escapes right at its doorstep, it’s just a matter of knowing where they are. I hope our list of some of the best weekend getaways just outside of Sydney has given you some ideas for your next weekend escape destination.